Have you ever felt like you know God’s purpose for you, but things just are not working out? Let’s explore one major reason why purpose is NOT fulfilled, and how to get on the right track.
Why Isn’t My Purpose Being Fulfilled?
In Isaiah 9:6 we find a prophecy about Jesus that lets us know “his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Though five things are listed, only one is a verb: COUNSELLOR.
Jesus doesn’t just hold the “title” of Counsellor; He will take action to counsel, advise, direct, and guide His people! As we explored in this blog post, He is our trusted counsellor! He cares, He can handle it, He is trustworthy, and He is always right.
The Bible let us know we are “predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will” (Eph. 1:11). All things can work together for good to them who love God and are the called according to His purpose (Rom. 8:28), because His will gives counsel and He works all things after that.
How We Get God’s Counsel
Many times in scripture and life, God gives His counsel through the mouths of the right counsellors. In fact, He establishes the critical importance of getting counsel from the RIGHT people in making right decisions AND fulfilling purpose.
Isaiah 44:26 shows us that God “confirmeth the word of his servant, and performeth the counsel of his messengers.” When we go to His servants and His messengers, those He’s given to speak for Him, we get counsel from God which God proceeds to confirm, perform, and DO! He backs up the counsel they give!
We don’t do this our own way and figure it out on our own; God’s Word makes clear: we need to get counsel! That godly counsel and sound advice from wise men and women who are godly, spiritual, and rooted in the written Word of God is a KEY ingredient in fulfilling purpose.
The Importance of Godly Counsel
Need more proof? It’s not about what we think; it’s about what God says! Here are 7 verses that show what GOD says about counsel:
- Proverbs 1:5 KJV – A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
- Proverbs 11:14 KJV – Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.
- Proverbs 12:15 KJV – The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
- Proverbs 15:22 KJV – Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established.
- Proverbs 19:20 KJV – Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.
- Proverbs 20:18 KJV – Every purpose is established by counsel: and with good advice make war.
- Proverbs 24:6 KJV – For by wise counsel thou shalt make thy war: and in multitude of counsellors there is safety.
The Bible says, “The LORD bringeth the counsel of the heathen to nought: he maketh the devices of the people of none effect. The counsel of the LORD standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations” (Psa. 33:10-11).
No matter what we come up with or what the ungodly say, God’s counsel ALWAYS stands. Unlike our feelings or popular trends, His counsel is immutable (unchangeable) and it’s impossible for Him to lie (Heb. 6:17-18). In obedience to His Word, if we want our purpose to be established (rather than disappointed), it’s time to make sure we seek, get, and apply counsel. Don’t do it on your own; ask for counsel.
How has counsel helped you fulfill purpose? Share your comments below!