Have you ever felt “not smart enough?” Most of us have experienced not having the knowledge, skills, or abilities necessary for the task at hand, but thank God for His wisdom! Wisdom teaches you HOW to do something. Wisdom shows you how to use and apply information to deal with a range of life situations, but God’s wisdom is NOT limited by our intelligence. In scripture, wisdom is not just in our heads, ears, or mouths. When we look to God and ask Him for His wisdom (James 1:5), God puts wisdom in our HEARTS by His Spirit! Let’s look at some examples.
Throughout the book of Proverbs we see so much about wisdom being connected to the heart:
- “When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:” (Prov. 2:10-11)
- “The wise in heart will receive commandments… ” (Prov. 10:8)
- “…the fool shall be servant to the wise of heart.” (Prov. 11:29)
- “Wisdom resteth in the heart of him that hath understanding… ” (Prov. 14:33)
- “The wise in heart shall be called prudent… ” (Prov. 16:21)
- “My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.” (Prov. 23:15)
Wisdom keeps getting in the heart, and making people wise not just in the head but wise in heart! Interestingly enough, Job describes God, saying, “He is wise in heart” (Job 9:4), and when the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, He made clear He was the one “who hath put wisdom in the inward parts” and “who hath given understanding to the heart” (Job 38:1, 36). Even GOD is wise in heart, and we see throughout scripture He puts wisdom and understanding in hearts.
Bezaleel would volunteer to be on the witness stand because God truly gave him and those that worked on the tabernacle wisdom in their hearts to make and do what God commanded. The Bible says:
- “And thou shalt speak unto all that are wise hearted, whom I have filled with the spirit of wisdom, that they may make Aaron’s garments to consecrate him, that he may minister unto me in the priest’s office.” (Exo. 28:3)
- “…in the hearts of all that are wise hearted I have put wisdom, that they may make all that I have commanded thee;” (Exo. 31:6)
- “And all the women that were wise hearted did spin with their hands, and brought that which they had spun, both of blue, and of purple, and of scarlet, and of fine linen. And all the women whose heart stirred them up in wisdom spun goats’ hair.” (Exo. 35:25-26)
Notice, the jobs varied yet with God’s wisdom in their heart they knew HOW and could DO what God instructed. Bezaleel is a perfect example. According to the Talmud (the Jewish commentary on the Old Testament), he was between 8 and 13 years old when he built the tabernacle, but God put sufficient wisdom in his heart to know HOW to do the job (Exo. 35:30-35). Exodus 36:1-2 says,
“Then wrought Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whom the LORD put wisdom and understanding to know how to work all manner of work for the service of the sanctuary, according to all that the LORD had commanded. And Moses called Bezaleel and Aholiab, and every wise hearted man, in whose heart the LORD had put wisdom, even every one whose heart stirred him up to come unto the work to do it:”
Bezaleel was NOT limited by his age, skill level, or experience because GOD put wisdom in his heart! He was able to take one piece of gold, and make a candlestick with branches, bowls, flowers, and more (Exo. 37:17-24). He didn’t have Google, YouTube, printed instructions, or parts to put together, but he did have God’s wisdom, and that was more than enough.
Solomon would certainly attest to this with a loud “AMEN!” because God gave him wisdom when he acknowledged, “I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in” and asked for “an understanding heart” (1 Kings 3:7, 9). He was saying in modern terms, “I DON’T KNOW what or how to do. I’m not old enough or smart enough, and I don’t have what’s needed in my head,” but he knew if God gave him wisdom and understanding in his HEART, he could do his assignment. God did it for Solomon. How do we know?
- Solomon wrote, “And I gave my heart to seek and search out by wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven… yea, my heart had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. And I gave my heart to know wisdom…” (Ecc 1:13, 16-17)
- God answered Solomon, saying, “Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee” (1Kings 3:12).
- The Bible records, “And all the kings of the earth sought the presence of Solomon, to hear his wisdom, that God had put in his heart” (2 Chron. 9:23).
When Solomon didn’t know but applied his heart to wisdom, God gave Him abundant wisdom in his heart that we’re STILL talking about!
God’s wisdom is not based on your age, educational level, or natural smarts. You don’t have to boost your IQ or get another degree for this. If you want to please and serve God, ask in faith for wisdom! Be like the Ecclesiastical writer and apply your heart to know, search, and seek out wisdom (Ecc. 7:25). Don’t be like the fool who the Bible records has no heart to get wisdom (Prov. 17:16). No matter how much or how little knowledge is in your head, if your heart is right and desires His wisdom, God can breathe on you and fill your heart with the wisdom that you need today.